Sunday, March 16, 2008

My son's decision

Today was a great day in the journey of parenting. My oldest son professed his faith in Jesus Christ and was baptized at church today. He had asked my husband and I on several occasions if he could be baptized but we kept putting him off. I was baptized very early in my life. My mother can remember the event but I do not recall it as vividly as I wish. I really don't believe I understood what I was professing at the time. With this background I knew I wanted my own children to really understand what it means to publicly announce that you are a Christ follower and the desire to live for Him.

You look back at the milestones in your child's life. First tooth, first steps, riding the bike without training wheels, going to kindergarten, going to middle school.... Nothing compares to seeing your son begin his journey to grow closer to God. I caught myself filling with pride at his decision but really the pride is not for me to claim. It is a loving God who created my son and who will continue to be his heavenly Father. It really was an extraordinary day.

1 comment:

Missy Tippens said...

How wonderful! I'm so happy for him and for you! There's nothing as exciting as watching our children grow in faith.

Missy