Thursday, August 7, 2008

Spotlight on Christy Barritt


Christy, please tell us a little about you.
I wear a lot of different hats. I’m a wife, a mother, a reporter, a novelist and a worship leader, to name a few. My favorite thing to do is spending time with my family and traveling. I live in Virginia and in my free time, I enjoy… who am I kidding? I never have any free time! J

What was the best gift you have ever received?
The best gift? That’s a hard one. I’d have to say the best gift I ever received was the first guitar my father ever bought me. He actually used all the spare change he’d been collecting over the years to purchase the guitar. I still have that guitar and I will never sell it, just because it’s so special to me.

That is a wonderful gift and really shows the love of your dad. Christy, do you have a favorite novel that you have written? I know it is sort of like asking you which child is your favorite.
I do, actually. The book has never been published but I’m still hoping to find a home for it one day. The book is called “The Good Girl” and it’s about a young woman who’s followed all the “rules” for her entire life, only to have everything fall apart. Her husband of six months leaves her, she’s fired from her job and she suddenly thinks her house is haunted. That’s where the story starts. I just love that book because I constantly catch myself thinking that if I follow all of the rules, God will love me more, which isn’t true! God loves me just as I am!

I look forward to “The Good Girl” coming out one day. What did you do to celebrate selling your novel?
I try to set a little money from the advance aside to do something fun, whether it’s go to the beach or to a local amusement park. Other than that, I don’t do anything. How boring am I???

Christy, please tell us a little about Suspicious Minds?
In Suspicious Minds, crime-scene cleaner Gabby St. Claire takes a mold remediation job to make ends meet. While in the crawlspace of a dilapidated old house, she finds Elvis—dead and still wearing his blue suede shoes! Gabby can’t resist sticking her nose into another investigation. Along the way, she tries to figure out her love life, her spiritual life and the wacky world of Elvis impersonators!

What do you enjoy most about writing Christian fiction?
I just love the whole story world. I love letting stories percolate in my mind. I love making new imaginary friends. I love getting so into writing my stories that I physically jump when someone interrupts me. Stories are just a part of me.

What would like readers to take away from Suspicious Minds?
Honestly, I’d like for readers to be entertained. I think that’s what every writer wants—readers to get swept away in the story, to be transported to a different place and life. The theme of loneliness kept emerging as I wrote Suspicious Minds also. I worry a lot about loneliness in our society today. I think it’s becoming easier and easier for people to live isolated lives. We can do almost everything right from our computers without ever interacting with a real, live person! It’s a little scary, actually. I think the problem of loneliness and isolation and even depression will continue to rise in this country as technology makes it easier and easier to be alone.

Well, I was definitely entertained while reading Suspicious Minds. Okay for a little fun if you were a candy bar what would you be? Why?
A Snickers bar. Not for any good reason, other than Snickers are my favorite!!!

I love a snickers bar too. After reading your novel I would guess that you are a pretty witty and zany person. What is the zaniest thing you have ever done?
The stupidest thing I’ve ever done is exploring an abandoned subway tunnel in Cincinnati. Zaniest? Hm…I kissed a pig once to raise money for my church. Does that count? I like taking crazy road trips, though I don’t get to do that very often with my little toddler. Honestly, I’m a pretty quiet person until I get to know someone. I think people are surprised by that!

You confess to being a klutz, what is the funniest thing that has happened as a result of your lack of grace and elegance?
Where to start? There was the time in college when I was goofing off in the cafeteria. I didn’t see someone coming toward me as I carried my waffle, which was loaded with syrup, whip cream and even a cherry. I slammed my plate right into his chest. Even worst, he was wearing a suit and tie. I felt terrible about that one! I’m also constantly putting my foot in my mouth. I won’t even go there!

Do you have any advice for novice or aspiring writers?
Keep at it! So many people I meet want to be writers but they never actually get around to writing. If you want to be a writer, it takes a lot of perseverance and tenacity. You have to be willing to grow and learn at every step of the process, even after you’re published.

Christy, can you tell us what you are working on now.
I just finished writing a book called Death of the Couch Potato’s Wife. Now I’m working on the third book in the Squeaky Clean Mystery Series, which is tentatively titled Organized Grime.

Do you have any last words? Where can readers find you?
Thanks so much for doing this interview! Great questions. If anyone would like more information on my books, feel free to visit my website at: http://www.christybarritt.com/. Thanks again!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great interview! And a reporter too! Who, what, where, when, and why! LOL
Does that make it easier for you to write your books?

Thanks so much for letting us get to know you a little.

Blessings
Shirley Connolly

http://apenforyourthoughts.blogspot.com/
http://shirleykoinonia.tripod.com/

Pamela J said...

Loneliness has sometimes been my hidden middle name. I grew up with just one friend who dumped me when she discovered she could be more popular. This book sounds great. I've seen Suspicious Minds around and the title makes me remember how some books make me feel. Please enter me in your drawing. Thanks.
Pam Williams
cepjwms at yahoo dot com