Monday, August 25, 2008

Spotlight on Michelle Sutton



What was the best gift you have ever received?

Not to be cliché in a Christian venue, but I have to say my salvation.

Michelle, please tell us a little about yourself.

Let’s see. Mother of two teen boys (both bigger than me and in high school), been married 18 years this month. I live in southeastern Arizona and can see the lights from the Mexican border from my front porch (at night.) I’ve written 9 novels and started several others. It’s Not About Me is actually the fifth story I penned.

I always wonder how writers come up with their ideas for their books. Where does your inspiration come from?

This one came from a tragic situation. I thought it would make interesting fodder for a novel so I took a real incident and fictionalized it to give my main character a serious trial to go through.

What did you do to celebrate selling your novel?

So far I’ve just send out review copies of my book and told people about how excited I am. Now my friends and coworkers did nice things for me to help me celebrate like bring treats and balloons, etc. to the office for me.

Michelle, please tell us a little about It’s Not About Me?

The original title of the story was Then Sings My Soul. I wanted to write a story about a young woman’s whose future was maimed along with her beauty and yet she still found a reason to sing by story’s end. But that title isn’t very YA sounding so I changed it to It’s Not About Me.

What do you enjoy most about writing Christian fiction? Why do you write for the YA market? What special challenges have you faced in that market?

I just enjoy writing. Period. This story happened to come out YA. Most of my stories are actually women’s fiction. I do have two other books in this series, written, however, so there is more to come. I haven’t experienced any challenges so far. It seems YA fiction is hot in the ABA right now and is starting to carry over into the Christian market.

What would like readers to take away from It’s Not About Me?

The meaning of true, sacrificial love, and that the focus of our lives shouldn’t be to please ourselves. Also, to understand what it means to truly follow Christ.

Okay for a little fun if you were a candy bar what would you be? Why?

A Baby Ruth, of course. Why? I am lumpy, sweet, and a bit nutty. Plus I love chocolate and it’s covered in it.

I know that you have many balls in the air at one time with your novel, family and other activities. What do you do to relax?

I love to read. It’s my favorite thing to do.

Please tell us about your online magazine.

We have over 30 columnists who are dedicated to entertaining, informing, and spreading the word about great Christian fiction as much as I am. To read the magazine itself, simply go to http://www.christianfictiononlinemagazine.com/

Do you have any advice for novice or aspiring writers?

Hang in there and keep writing. If you persist eventually you will get the reward of being proud of your work (in a good way) and a readership as well. The longer you wait, the more you can develop and market yourself as a writer, so don’t rush things.

Do you have any last words? Where can readers find you?

I think I’ve blabbed enough. Readers can find me all over the internet by simply Googling my name, or Edgy Inspirational Author. I’ve got links, baby, and I’ve got lots of them. But if you don’t care to Google me, try http://www.michellesutton.net/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this interview. Great questions. She sounds really busy, can't wait to read her book.

Mimi N said...

Thanks for this interview. Funny to find out what kind of candy bar Michelle would be.

Blessings,
Mimi B