Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Generation Hex: Understanding the Subtle Dangers of Wicca

Writer and speaker Marla Alupoaicei has authored several books and Bible study guides and serves as a writer for East-West Ministries. Alupoaicei has fifteen-plus years of ministry, teaching, and missions experience. She also enjoys writing poetry and has garnered several literary awards for her work.

For five years, Alupoaicei worked as a writer for Insight for Living, where she wrote and/or edited numerous workbooks and Bible study guides. Her forthcoming books include Flow: Inspiring Devos for the Creative Soul and Taking the Intercultural Leap
Alupoaicei holds a BA in English and communications from Purdue University and a Master of Theology degree from Dallas Theological Seminary.
You can read more about Marla at her website,
http://marriageleap.com.


Writer and communicator Dillon Burroughs is the author or co-author of fifteen books, including What Can Be Found in LOST?; What’s the Big Deal About Other Religions?; and the revised Facts On series (with John Ankerberg and John Weldon).
He also serves as a staff writer and research associate for the Ankerberg Theological Research Institute.
He holds a bachelor’s degree in communications from Indiana State University and a Master of Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary. He also serves as a professor of youth and culture at Tennessee Temple University.
He, his wife, and their two children live in Tennessee.
You can learn more about Dillon on his website, http://readdb.com/

Wicca is America’s fastest growing religion. By the year 2012, it’s projected to be the third largest religion in the United States.
In Generation Hex, Marla Alupoaicei and Dillon Burroughs explore the history, culture, and practices of Wicca. As part of their research, they interviewed travelers to historic Salem, Massachusetts, consulted practitioners of leading neopagan conferences in the Pacific Northwest and Canada, and dialogued with several current and former adherents of Wicca and other forms of witchcraft to evaluate the past and present of this growing spiritual tradition.
The result is a compelling account that will inform and equip Christians (especially parents) to understand Wiccan and New Age teachings. Readers will have confidence to explain this belief system to others and to communicate the gospel to those caught up in this practice.
Generation Hex identifies with the spiritual hunger of a generation seeking truth, authenticity, and hope in a fragmented world. It’s perfect for personal study or as a gift for anyone interested or involved in Wicca.
What do you like to do in your spare time? Hobbies?
Marla: I love reading, writing, playing the piano, violin and guitar, photography, hanging out with friends, exercising, traveling, enjoying the outdoors, spending time with friends, going to museums and concerts, and watching movies with my husband.
Dillon: My hobbies include drinking coffee (during work), playing Legos and My Little Pony (with my kids, NOT during work), playing guitar, hiking, and camping.

What has God been teaching you lately?
Marla: He’s been teaching me that I have to do my part, but then I must let go and trust Him for the results. I can’t control what happens! Also, I’m learning that as my opportunities grow and my workload multiplies, I have to work harder to continue to invest in my marriage and my personal relationships. I’m a person who wants to say “yes” to every opportunity, and I am having to learn to be more strategic and consider what God’s call really is for my life. I also need to ask for help sometimes or find other ways to reduce my workload and stress level.
Dillon: God’s latest lesson is that I have exactly enough time to do what he wants me to do each day; no more, no less.

When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Marla: Wow! What didn’t I want to be? I think I changed my answer every day. I wanted to be a ballerina, a teacher, a doctor, a zookeeper… I always loved books, though. I suppose I should have known that I would become a writer.
Dillon: A Jedi Knight (I’m still training!); NBA basketball star; astronaut. None of these have worked out, but God’s plan is way better.

What did you enjoy most about writing a book with someone else?
Marla: Dillon is so much fun to work with. He’s a fast writer, so he pulls me along in that regard. He’s also a very low-maintenance co-author. On this book, he wrote his portion of the book while I wrote my part, and then I combined them and edited the book afterward to check for consistency, make some additions, and so on. The process went so smoothly! Dillon has lots of ideas, and he’s a great encourager. He always calls me with exciting news about a press release, something new in the media related to our topic, or updates on the book and marketing strategies. His enthusiasm is fantastic!
Dillon: I love team-writing and highly encourage it to aspiring writers. When I can lay down my ego and say it’s about the project rather than about me, I think people are much more open to what I have to say. We can also simply cover more ground, with some interviews done separately and others together. Marla is an amazing editor and writer on her own. Together, we’ve been able to focus on our strengths and make a much better book and get the word out to far more people.

What was the most difficult aspect of writing a book with someone else?Marla: The process with Generation Hex was so smooth and seamless. However, I have worked on other collaborative projects that were more challenging. The most difficult aspects are working with someone whose schedule is SO busy that he/she really doesn’t have time to write a book, and trying to take two people’s viewpoints and combine them into one book without compromising either.
Dillon: The most difficult part is the give and take of my own perspective. On controversial aspects, I can’t just say, “That’s what I think.” It’s more like, “What’s going to help people the most on this particular issue?”

What would you say to someone who wants to become a published author?
Marla: Go for it! There’s always room for one more. If you need help, please ask me and I will be happy to help. Author Mary DeMuth also has a great blog called So You Want to Be Published? that can help you in that regard.
Dillon: Start small and don’t quit. I was 0 for 10 on my first 10 magazine queries. Later it was 1 for 10, then 2 for 10, until editors eventually asked me if I had something to meet their deadline.
The second piece of advice is to write with an attitude of servanthood. Most of my writing has been helping other established authors produce better books. In the process, I gain writing experience and credits that have helped me write books like Generation Hex down the road.
Finally, it’s all God. I can’t give a “how to get published” talk. I don’t completely understand it myself. God wants me to write and has opened the doors. I can’t take any of the credit.

Thank you so much for stopping by.
Generation Hex: Understanding the Subtle Dangers of Wicca:
Release: August 1, 2008
Non-fictionISBN: 0736924019
Download a sample.

No comments: