Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day!

You don't realize how much your mother means to you until you grow up and have have children of your own. Being a mother is incredibly hard. You are put in charge of these intense free willed beings and expected to guide them to adulthood alive. I remember how terrified I was when I was left with my first child. I am sure the nurses laughed at the desk when I called for help because he had hiccups. The cure was a pacifier. Who would have thought that would have been so terrifying. That same child is now twelve and is responsible for an amazing amount of gray hair I have now.

I am now past the diaper stage with all of my children but at the time I thought it would never end. We supported the Huggie stockholder for ten years. Too bad at the time I didn't own stock. I remember the frustration and the thoughts that I would have the only children graduating from high school in diapers. I am happy to say that isn't going to happen.

There are so many milestones we see our children reach and at the time we are so excited to see them reach them. The first smile, hearing the word mama, first steps or when they learn to ride the bike without training wheels. I don't think at the time I really valued all those milestones. I was excited with each one but I would love to turn back the clock and cuddle with my babies asleep on my chest. Take the time today and do something with each of your children. There will be a time that they won't have the time.