Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Contentment

There are times in my life when I am so dissatisfied with my house, my car, clothing, and even at times my family that I feel overwhelmed with frustration. Do you get like that? How often do we keep searching for just the right shoes, or maybe we just are never satisfied with the car we own or the house we live in? I am constantly changing the arrangement in my living room because I just can't get the furniture to just the right place and who doesn't love to go shopping. These are all signs that we are looking for something to make us content. No matter where I place my couch and end tables I will only find contentment in the love of Christ. No matter how many cute pairs of shoes I own only He will make me happy. I think many women and men for that matter, are searching for contentment.

We are designed to love and have a meaningful relationship with Him. Without that meaningful relationship with God we find ourselves at a loss always looking for more. In Psalm 90:14 ( NIV)"Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for you and be glad all our days". We can only find satisfaction in His love for us. Nothing on this earth can fill that void. But it seems we continue to try to fill it. We are made for more than this world can offer. There will never be enough love, friendship, intimacy or anything else for us. Have you found yourself dissatisfied with your life? Everyone falls into this at some point. I have never been one to memorize verses but I have decided I should start. This week I am memorizing Phil. 4:12-13. (NIV) I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret to being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry whether living in plenty or living in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. I hope that you will join me. This Scripture reminds me that no matter what is going on I can find contentment in Him.

This made me think of all the evacuees from the coast that have no home to return to. I was watching on T.V. this woman who had lost everything she owned. It was swept out into the gulf. She no longer has a home to go to and is living in a shelter. What was amazing about her was that she didn't moan and cry. She had peace about it. Now it never said that she was a Christian on the news but I believe she must have been by the way she handled the situation. She was leaning on something greater than herself.

This summer we had about seventy people go to Mexico to build small block houses for some families who had nothing. The people where very grateful for all our mission team provided for them but the mission team received more from those families who had nothing of material value. The mission team saw first hand what it means to be content in Christ. These people who had no shelter for their children displayed to these Americans mission workers from the land of plenty that contentment is not in what you own but who you serve. I have decided that I am going to change my blog a little and every Wednesday, I hope to include a short devotional not so much for my readers but to remind me who I serve. I also want to extend a pray to all of my readers. If you have a prayer request please let me know.


Father,

Thanks you for all that you have given me. Please forgive me of the times when I let my discontentment get into the way of knowing you better. Please lift up my readers and friends that they will find contentment and know that you will satisfy their needs.

Amen

No comments: